Sewing while running a temperature is like knitting while drunk. The results just aren’t going to be pretty.
Having spent all day playing around with my blanket, pinning it different ways, trying different techniques with the binding – mitred corners, square corners etc – machine stitching, hand stitching, I finally finished it.
It looked beautiful in my lap, all bright wild colours. Then I laid it out on the floor and noticed that as I’d been sewing and playing around with it, the fleece I’ve used for backing appears to have stretched slightly out of shape.
So what was a beautiful handstitched baby blanket … is still a beautiful handstitched baby blanket. But with a mildly puffy back in a couple of places where the fleece just didn’t take kindly to being messed about with.
I would guess that next time what I should do is to quilt the fleece in place first before I put the binding on. The quilting stitches will hold the fleece in place and keep it from stretching as I pin, adjust and stitching the binding.
It’s disappointing to have worked so hard on something only to find I’ve inadvertently messed it up. But on the plus side, I now have a new baby blanket, I guess.